Friday, November 12, 2010

Captain

June of 2009, I was elected Captain of the East Hampton Junior Volunteer Fire Department. I wasn't to surprised that I got it, because the person that I was running against wasn't well liked. I had been in the Junior Fire Department since may of 2004. January of 2005, I became the secretary/treasurer of the Juniors, because no one wanted to do. I had done that job until I became Captain.I decided that before I was too old I wanted to hold the Captains position.During my time as Captain, I tried to make sure that everyone else knew where everything was on the trucks and if they needed to go over it, I was available to help.

I enjoyed this experience. I felt like this was my time to try out being a leader again. I had been the president of CARLY (Connecticut Amateur Radio League of Youth) for a few years when I was younger. I enjoyed doing that but I was never able to do much, because of the adults. This experience was so much fun. I was able to help others and get the feeling of satisfaction for myself.

Most of the time that I was a junior that Captain was always a male. The Captain before me was a female and the Captain after me was a female. We have been done a great job and I think that since we have been doing it in the Junior Department that there will be a chance of having a female Captain in the Senior Department. I loved this experience and wish that I would have run sooner and had a longer term, but I don't regret having the six month term that I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment